Beautiful baked birthday cakes, fresh pastries, and exquisite desserts are all hallmarks at C3 Lab— and behind each of them is Pastry Chefs Lawrence and Chef Chong, who oversees pastry and creates made-from-scratch desserts for C3 Lab. Channeling their years of experience working, learning, and leading in the culinary industry, together they have created and perfected all the creations in Texture by C3 Lab.
Chef Lawrence is passionate about patisserie and is constantly striving to bring and develop new ideas and concepts into the pastry kitchen. His specialty includes French pastry and chocolate confectionery. In addition, he also has a special touch in artistic premium chocolate showpieces. His team was placed 4th in the 2015 Coupe du Monde de la Patisserie in Lyon and his chocolate showpiece received the highest score in the category, earning him the title of “Best Chocolate Showpiece”.
Chef Chong a.k.a Breadpitt specialises in creating modern French pastries with the perfect balance in flavours and textures. He is always thinking of new ways to improve and innovate his pastries. His eye for detail is also shown through his artistic sugar and chocolate showpieces. His team placed 6th in the 2017 Coupe du Monde de la Patisserie in Lyon. He was also placed 2nd in the 2016 Mondial des Arts Sucres, his entremets creation’s score topped the category in that competition.
Since lots of us have been curious about who the brains behind C3 Lab’s masterpiece is and what their stories are like, let’s read their answers to several questions about life as a pastry chef. Luckily they were delighted to give us an inside look into their life which can motivate the young pastry chef(s) out there. Let’s go!
- I’m sure a lot of us would love to know about your journey towards becoming a successful pastry chef. Can you tell us how your life was before becoming a great pastry chef?
- Why did both of you choose French pastry? Is there something about French pastry that made you realise that this was what you were meant to be learning?
- What was the biggest challenge you faced during the hardest time in the pandemic? How do you cope within this time in the pastry business?
- Both of you had participated and won a place at Coupe De Monde, and earned the title “Best Chocolate Showpiece”. How do the competitions and these achievements really help you in this industry?
- If I were to have asked you 10 years ago, would this be where you expected yourself to be? Would you say that you have achieved all that you wanted to?
- I would say that Texture by C3 Lab is known for coming up with cakes which have combinations of flavours in a dessert, which is amazing! How do you come up and brainstorm with all these ideas?
- Who is the one person you guys always look up to the most?
- Finally, is there any advice you would like to give to younger pastry chefs out there?
If you’re craving for a sweet tooth , C3 Lab has you covered. (And if you made an order, snap a photo and tag us on Instagram!). If you’re new to Texture by C3 Lab and are eager to have a taste of Chef Lawrence’s and Chef Chong a.k.a Breadpitt’s exquise birthday cakes, one of the best dessert in Klang Valley, head on over to www.c3lab-my.com and place your orders there!